Sunday, March 21, 2010

No Flair For Gougéres

Sooo...don't know what possessed me, but I decided to try a recipe similar to this one, for herbed gougéres. Not such a great idea it seems. My batter is too watery and I have a blister on my finger from the part that says "with a wooden spoon, vigorously stir in flour all at once until mixture forms ball and leaves side of pan. Well, I stirred vigorously and that mixture never formed a ball, it never left the pan, let alone the sides of it. I have been working on this for over an hour. I am now supposed to "drop by rounded teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheets". My batter is more of the consistency of  "pour into a pan, and see what happens".  Gougéres cupcakes? I think it's time to throw in the towel and admit defeat!

Perhaps I do have a flair for gougéres, well sort of. I poured some of the batter onto the parchment paper, popped them in the oven and voila!!  Gougéres crisps, crunchy on the edge and chewy in the middle. They are quite tasty, but not quite ready to grace my mom's Palm Sunday dinner table next week. Now who's going to help me eat all of them?

1 comment:

Sean said...

Wish i could, they look tasty