Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Homemade Granola



Recently a friend had given me some granola she had made, and it was delicious. The recipe she used did not specify amounts to use. That led me to scour the web for a healthy granola recipe. So with a little of this, some of that and a few of these I came up with a yummy, healthy granola recipe.


Here are some of the ingredients I used.

All mixed together, except for the dried fruit...

...and baked in my roasting pan. My roasting pan only sees the light of my kitchen once or twice a year, so it's nice to get more use out of it.

Toss in some dried fruit and there you have it. Yummy healthy granola. I have about 1/4 cup of granola with some non-fat greek yogurt and it's delicious and very filling! The following is the recipe I came up with. Give it a try, let me know how you like it.

GRANOLA
Preheat oven to 325º
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup ground flaxseed
1 cup ground wheat bran
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup slivered almonds, chopped pecans or chopped walnuts
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1- 1 1/2cups dried fruit~ cranberries, raisins, cherries. If you have a Trader Joes, they have a Golden Berry Blend that is perfect for this recipe

In large baking dish or roasting pan stir together all ingredients except for the dried fruit. In a 2 cup glass measure, stir together~
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup natural unsalted peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Heat this mixture in the microwave on 50% power until it is hot, about 2-3 minutes. Pour over granola mixture and stir well. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After granola cools, stir in dried fruit. Store in refrigerator or freezer.

Enjoy...

1 comment:

Jane said...

Oh yum!! This looks so good, I am ready with hand outstretched!