Friday, March 26, 2010

First Quilt Friday ~My First Quilt

I've decided to make today "First Quilt Friday" and show the first quilt I made.
This is my house quilt. When I decided I wanted to learn how to make a quilt, I bought a book and began to teach myself. Well the book I bought had no templates, so I learned how to draft patterns. I thought this was how everyone learned to make a quilt. I did not realize at the time how invaluable this lesson would become. I can resize any quilt block to suit my needs. Knowing how to draft a pattern has also been helpful when I designed my own quilts. Graph paper has become a lifelong friend.
This quilt is all hand pieced and quilted. I quilted shingles, bricks, grass and window panes. Each block has a different design quilted in the sky, wind, sun and a kite to name a few. This quilt is 35" x 52" and I made it in 1984.

House quilt detail



Thanks for taking a look!

3 comments:

Sean said...

I love the blog, I allready have it saved under favorites!

Denise said...

Thanks Sean!!! xoxoxo

Diane said...

I learned to quilt in the early 1980's and, like you, my first lesson involved drafting a pattern. Your fabrics are so reminiscent of that era. They bring back memories.