Monday, November 18, 2013

A Finish!

I finally finished this quilt for a baby, who is now a toddler. My goal was to have it completed before she went off to college. Success!! I love when my goals are met . .  and exceeded!
The quilt is machine pieced and quilted. I used yardage and charm squares of Tweet Tweet by Kieki for Moda. I used Kona Snow that I hoarded bought a whole lot of, several years ago for the sashing.
The quilt is in the 48" x 50" range. I designed my own layout for this quilt based on the 5" charm squares, and forgot to measure it before I sent it on it's way. 
 

My little box of goodies for hand sewing the binding and label.

Did a little hand quilting as well. It's been so long since I hand quilted, I could barely see that tiny little needle! Managed to thread that tiny little eye! Pat pat! (pats self on back)
 
 Hand quilted name. Isla Grace. Name love!

Speaking of lofty goals, check out the date I made the label and the date this little one was born, check out today's date. sigh . . .

quilting detail

I've used Mettler threads for years and have several bins full of their decorative threads. Years ago when I was in my "designing art quilts and entering them into shows" period, Mettler sent me lots of threads to sample. I love their threads! I've used up all of the Mettler cotton thread I had, so I went to my local quilt shop and bought a few spools of Aurifil thread in 28 and 50 wt. to try. I used Aurifil 28 weight cotton for the machine quilting in this quilt. I have to remember that the smaller the number, the heavier the thread. I could never get those thread weights figured out. This thread sewed beautifully in my machine. I love this thread! I always clean and oil my bobbin case after every bobbin change and there wasn't any lint in there! Amazing! 
 
I enlarged one of the decorative stitches on my Bernina to quilt wavy lines on the borders.
 
Rolled up goodness!
 
Outdoor shot amongst the fallen leaves. It's beautiful here in New Jersey!
Thanks for stopping by!

                                                      

3 comments:

Jane said...

Love this quilt!! Great job. Were the hearts free hand machine quilted? You go girl!!

Karen said...

I love this quilt and the simple design pattern that you used. The quilting is very pretty.

Denise said...

Thank you for reading my blog Karen! Glad you liked my quilt!