Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival


It's time again for the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I am showcasing one of my favorite quilts, Storm At Sea. I started this quilt in October 1985 and finished it in February 1991. Twenty years ago! I love how it looks like waves undulating across the quilt, even though there aren't any curved pieces. There are over 1700 pieces in this 77" x 98" quilt. I hand pieced and hand quilted every teeny, tiny little stitch in this quilt.  The quilt hung in one of my homes for 5 years. It has been washed and snuggled under many times. It now is lovingly displayed on one of the beds in my home. It still warms my children and guests when they spend nights here.

The label I made for the back of the quilt, documents my journey and the making of this quilt. Note the "finally" penned on the bottom of the label. :-) During the making of this quilt, I took a machine piecing class. . . my sore fingers gave a sigh of relief.

Detail of quilt

Thanks for stopping by to see my quilt and thanks to Amy at Amy's Creative Side for hosting the festival! Click on the button below to see more amazing quilts in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

Amy'sCreativeSide


13 comments:

Jane said...

Congrats Denise!! Your quilt is still as lovely and wonderful as the day you started it! How special to be included in a quilt blog festival too!! Hugs, Jane

Annabella said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I have the fabric to make a SaS quilt but haven`t yet started. I must start as like you I love the wave effect the pattern gives.

Jolanda said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt! How much work on it!

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt!

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com
msolomo1@maine.rr.com

Myra said...

Lovely quilt! Wonderful choice of fabrics! Love this pattern. On my "to do list" too! 8-)

Deonn @ Quiltscapes said...

How wonderful! And this is one of my favorite quilts of all time, too - made one for my son out of old denims and khakis using a 24" block - I call it his Tsunami (A Giant Storm at Sea)! Love the illusion of curves.
http://quiltscapesquilting.blogspot.com/2009/10/jordans-tsunami.html

Cindy said...

Fantastic quilt. Thanks for sharing it.

Editfolt said...

Greetings from Hungary! I really like your Quilted. I love the color. The stapling is very nice. A very interesting pattern. I love stormy sea blocks.

Elle said...

I'm so glad to know that you love it so many years later, since these are so very much work! It's beautiful!

I'm working on one of these now as a wedding present for two dear friends. It is already 2 years past their wedding day, and not yet done, though I think it will be making it's way to the top of the WIP pile very soon. In fact, I'm hoping to post a picture of it on my design wall in about 2 weeks - the fabric placement has been the hardest part for me. I am machine-piecing it, and I'm still deciding about how to quilt it, but it uses a variety of tones of blues and white. If you're interested, I hope you'll stop by for a visit - elle-mental.blogspot.com - and now that I've written that I'll post about it in 2 weeks, I guess I'll actually have to do it! :)

Lyanna L. said...

wow can't believe you made this entire quilt by hand - it is gorgeous. thanks for sharing it! =)

Nic said...

Beautiful! Definitely one to be proud of.

Eileen said...

wonderful quilt in such lovely fabrics. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Kit Lang said...

Lovely quilt - thanks for sharing. :)